Monday, 24 September 2007

We digress

On Friday we decided that we would do a quick camping trip over Saturday night. We planned to leave around noon on Saturday due to some morning committments. The kids were really excited, DA enthused, I was along for the ride. We got the car all packed and headed out at 2:00 (no surprise it took longer to pack than we planned for). We immediately pull in to the store to buy gas. I hurried inside to pay while DA quickly pumped the gas. Upon leaving, I noticed that DA has parked the car at a funny and awkward angle in front of the door. I get inside and notice he has a horrified look on his face - he has just pumped unleaded gas into our diesel tank!!! The car is stopped. wont move an inch. We have been driving this car for months, we are not new to the country, we can read the "diesel fuel only" sign and still digressed back to our American roots when in a rush.
The kids and I ended up walking home with them dragging their heels all the way. DA called the service people and was told they would tow the car to the house and then come pick it up on Monday to be repaired. When the tow truck arrived (very timely I must say. Normally you can wait hours on a tow truck.) DA was so flustered that he entered the car on the wrong side, much to the dismay of the tow truck driver and he could hardly understand the guy since he has such a strong accent. It looked like we were newbies in the country! he told DA that another place could pump it and have it drivable later on Saturday so that is what he did. They pumped $100 of unleaded out of the engine and then he bought deisel fuel to fill up the tank. Remarkably, he was back home by 4:45. We DID end up getting to go on our camping trip - leaving at 5:00. First thing DA did upon leaving the neighborhood, drive on the wrong side of the road. I offered to drive since we were headed toward another disaster, but he pulled himself together. Had to change to a local camp ground since we were running so late, but it was in a beautiful area and we were able to set up camp in time to cook dinner before it got dark. Oh cooking you ask - since I am so talented in that area - it was over a one burner flame in a tiny pot. Cooks one serving at a time. For breakfast it took about an hour to fix scrambled eggs and bacon. Made me appreciate my faulty oven and hob at the house.

0 comments: