Sunday, 16 September 2007

Sunday events in England

Today was a beautiful day. The skies were clear and blue and the air was fairly warm. We had lunch outside at a friends house at a "welcome the new preacher from church" party.
I was a little nervous all afternoon though. Not because of the party, but because I sent my precious 12 year old son into the city with 70 other kids for a church youth event. 12 years old! in London! without his parents! riding the train and tube (subway) and going on a photo scavenger hunt. I was very nervous. He had his cell phone and money and I knew he could read the train schedule and get back to our village if he needed to by himself. I told him if he got lost, "Just get back to Waterloo station. You know how to get home from there." At 4:30 the phone rang and it was him. I could hear crazy noise in the background. He was just calling to say Hi and that they were having fun. Probably all the kids had their cell phones out and he felt like he "needed" to call someone too. Fortunately they arrived safely back at the local train station and reported that they had a blast. I think it was the most fun he's had in a while. His favorite story being that they had to find someone who would take a picture with them while they were all picking their noses. They found 2 bus drivers who agreed and they got bonus points for having found 2 volunteers. LOVELY.
Then while I had all that on my mind, B came home from her horse back riding session and told me she was thrown off the horse!!!! now for any of you who know her bike riding-wreck-broken leg ordeal where she wouldn't get back on a bike for years, you know this had the potential of being a horseback riding career ending event. DA reported that her fall was softened by a little horse manure and she popped right up and back onto the horse and finished her lessons. whew. She handled her first fall exactly as she should, getting right back into the saddle. Albeit, a little stinky and dirty!
For any of you who have heard of the foot-mouth disease that is making all the headlines in England, we live smack in the middle of it all. We have to serlize our feet both coming and going to the stables. We've heard it may affect our travel to the States that we are living in this zone, so just hope for our sakes that it doesnt. The kids are really looking forward to traveling home for Christmas and I dont want a little foot-mouth disease to mess up the trip.
Hope your Sunday afternoon was a little more relaxing.

0 comments: