We have a running joke here that anytime we do anything "American" that we should know better NOT to do anymore - we call it having our "American Moment" of the day.
Usually referred to when DA drives on the right side of the road - not to be confused with the correct side of the road that he should be on to avoid having a wreck.
Anyway, today I went to a grocery store I have only been in once before. I didnt know where things were located. I was distracted when walking into the store - reading some vouchers (coupons) that had been handed to me as I walked in. Unusual because they dont use coupons here, so I was a little dazed by knowing what to do with them ;-)
I was shopping for 1 thing - eggs. I immediately looked up around the top part of the walls for the big EGGS sign. Didnt see it, started walking down the refrigerated aisle. Didnt see them, walked to other end of store for more refrigerated section when I remembered!!!! after being here for almost 2 years that eggs are NEVER sold in the refrigerated section. They were located, as usual, in the middle of the cereal aisle. I could not believe after all this time that I had a mental block and actually looked in several places in the store for refrigerated eggs. How dare I think that eggs should actually be cold (or white or without feathers and bits on them!) It's those kind of moments that make me shake my head and realize that no matter how long I'm here, the oddball habits are hard to break.
Moments later I also had sticker shock - 2 dozen eggs cost 8 GPS. That seemed outrageous to me. Are they that much in Dallas?
Oh - update on the eco milk sold in the bag. They now have a plastic carton that they sell right next to the milk for you to put your milk into to dispense it - obviously - but this new eco solution is so much more expensive than the regular milk. How can "eco" milk in a bag be more expensive than milk in a carton? Crazy.
Friday, 7 November 2008
My American moment
Posted by Bridget at 22:20
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment