Happy Halloween. We celebrated last week with a big trunk or treat event at the kid's school. B was a "colorful Fairy" and L was a punk rocker.
B and friends at their costume parade at school.
On the 31st we stayed home and handed out some candy. The concept of trick or treating isnt as ingrained here as it is in the States. I answered the door one time to a group of kids and no one said anything when I opened the door. I said, "no trick or treat?" they just looked at me and held out their bags. Instead of "thank you" I got the British "cheers." Our funniest trick or treater costume was a boy dressed in dark clothes with a woman's bra and panties on top. Instead of carrying a bag for his candy, he stuffed his goodies into his bra. It was so funny.
Saturday, 1 November 2008
Happy Halloween and Guy Fawkes!
Today started the Guy Fawkes celebration. They light fireworks for about 2 weeks straight. We have had about 3 hours worth already tonight. It seems every home with a decent sized garden buys fancy fireworks and shoots them off sometime over the next couple of weeks.
I'm not sure if they ever wish anyone this, but "happy Guy Fawkes" to you all.
Posted by Bridget at 20:46
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
Sounds like your kids had more fun than we did on Halloween. We didn't have one trick-or-treater and we didn't go out ourselves. The kids got to wear their costumes at school though last week and they wore them at the Smith's house on Thursday. Poor kids played "trick-or-treat" upstairs at Amy's. That's all they got to do this year.
For some reason I thought Guy Fawkes night (or week) was the first of December instead of November. No wonder there have been so many fireworks. Lots of people around here celebrated Diwali with fireworks too.
We miss you. Call me when you get some free time. It looks like we'll come back to London after Christmas!
Post a Comment