Waiting to board the ship. B was so excited she said it "felt like going to America!" meaning her level of excitement and that is saying ALOT! B got her own room key/charge card. She claims it was her first credit card. great.
Leaving port in Venice. No one was there to wish us bon voyage, but the views of Venice were very nice.
Ok, I have to admit, we went on holiday, again. I know you are rolling your eyes right now and shaking your head, but really, it was so much fun and we have to do something to fill all of DA's vacation time! It was our first cruise ever. Knowing how sea sick I would be has always stopped us from planning a cruise, but I desperately wanted to see some Greek islands, and a cruise is the easiest and cheapest way to do it. Never mind that we also go to fit in Venice, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; Kusadasi, Turkey (and Ephesus); Santorini, Greece; and Corfu, Greece. I had never actually heard the term "Dalmatian Coast" before but L piped up that he'd studied it in school and they called it that name because there are all these little islands that look like spots out in the sea- hence the name Dalmatian. According to him (facts are unchecked) The Allies actually promised the area to Italy after the war in return for their support, but Italy was given very little of the area in the end.
Fortunately I found some really good motion sickness medicine and strictly took it every morning and evening. I NEVER had any problems at all - even during the choppy seas on the last night as we sailed through a fantastic electrical/rain storm.
We planned a trip on Royal Caribbean's boat, Splendor of the Sea. It is the smallest boat in their fleet, but very nice, great kids activities and the food was great. DA and I decided that we would stay out of the buffet restaurant and only eat in the nice restaurant so we would not be tempted to eat more than one portion - easy to do on a boat where food is available 24/7.
Our kids LOVED the kids area. B in the younger side and L in the teen side. They could come and go as they pleased, but usually decided to stay there and participate in all the scavenger hunts, games, competitions, etc. They each made several friends that they enjoyed playing with. DA and I joked that it was the best family vacation even though we weren't together as a family all that much. The kids would eat in the buffet every night which left DA and I to a nice, calm, leisurely meal together. Our table mates were lovely. Very nice, engaging people to visit with each night. (Hi Jenn and Kevin!)
Due to the kids independence, we don't even have ONE photo of the 4 of us together on the boat. oops. Should have realized that sooner.
The weather throughout the week was clear and sunny. We loved the sun and heat and were so happy to get a little tan. Much improvement over our English pasty skin. I will say I was one of only about 5 ladies who weren't in a bikini - no matter what shape they were in! DA and I laid out by the pool on our cruising days and kept scanning the decks for the kids so we could check in with them as they moved about. Our room was nothing fancy, but it was plenty for us and our stateroom attendant kept it in tip top shape. I think she went in and straightened up EVERY single time we left the room. The little towel shaped animals were so funny -Sunglasses and all - that she left on our beds each night. She definitely earned her tip.
B didn't want to leave the ship at the end of the week and L decided he wants to work on a cruise ship when he grows up. I told him he'd better study his Spanish then because we didn't meet one person who could speak less than 4 languages and most spoke more. Very multi lingual crowd and the workers could speak to almost all of them in their native languages.
A highly successful vacation and I'm sure the kids will be asking to go on a cruise every year from now on. I guess we've joined the cruise crowd now!
The most tan I've had in 2 years. This is proof - even as my tan is fading as I type!
L and his new friends in his favorite room - the arcade!




2 comments:
I want to go to Greece! Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I'm glad the cruise worked out for you and that you didn't get sick. It sounds like you had a wonderful time! You know, the Mediterranean Cruise is my dream vacation! Talk to you soon.
Your cruise looks fabulous. I can not wait to see the rest of your pictures. I have ridden the donkeys in Santorini and have to agree it is quite an experience. It is a beautiful island.
Post a Comment