Friday, 15 August 2008

The Olympic coverage in England

I know as an expat that I couldn't expect the Olympic coverage to focus on the Americans, but I'm really missing all the dramatic, loud "dun, dun, dun,dun dun" music that plays at every commercial, the back story on the athletes, the late night interviews with the winners, etc. There is lots of coverage here, but it is like watching a local cable network that just shows what is going on, no real commentary. Get this, for the women's all around gymnastics today, they showed the entire thing in about 5 min or less!!!! that would take a whole evening in the States. They showed "highlights" of the 3 medal winner routines. We didnt even get to see their entire floor, beam or bar routines. Come on! they only last about a minute in total. I was really frustrated at that because I was planning on that being my entire evening of Olympic coverage and it was over in 5 minutes.
One funny thing is that several of the British athletes that are interviewed say they are "gutted" with their performance. It makes me laugh every time. Americans are usually so polished and media savy and these guys are just regular ole folks, genuine and honest and "gutted".

2 comments:

Amy McCown said...

I am even missing Bob Costas and his cheesy comments. We gave up and started watching the Olympics on the sling box one day behind. BBC is just not the same.

Bridget said...

Yes, Bob Costas. We've always just rolled our eyes at him, but now I really miss him. sad>