We woke up this morning to the dark, as usual for this time of year so we didnt notice the beautiful snow outside. It caught even the locals by surprise. It is so peaceful. I think there is at least 2" outside. Snow is even falling in central London. These quaint little roofs look even more so covered in snow. We left during the first cold snap of year in Dallas and brought it with us. I think it is the first snow of the year in this area. The kids had to throw a few snowballs before they went off to school. We didnt pack any gloves for L, so he left with frozen hands. The snow is perfect for snowballs. It is supposed to fall all day.
Today is the kids second day at school and they rode the bus this morning. After 50 pound ride to pick them up yesterday in a taxi, we signed them up for the bus right away. If you know my kids you will appreciate their shock at having to be ready to leave at 7:15!!!!! A definite change from running to school at 7:58.
B was very happy with school. Her teacher and classmates were very friendly and welcoming. They are used to new students. They have had 19 new kids in the lower school since Christmas break.
L isnt quite sure yet. They have a complicated schedule that will take some adjusting to. Fortunately he had changed classes at WRE for the last 1.5 years. He now has several classes and teachers each day and they rotate schedules every 8 days- do they have different weeks here or what - I've never heard of an 8 day schedule. I dont know how they keep up with things. Just reading his schedule makes my head spin. He did meet some nice kids though. William (pronounced Willam) is his buddy. L isnt the tallest anymore. I asked him about the boys and he said they are all tall and skinny, he'll fit right in.
The food at the school is good. B told me I dont have to make her lunch anymore. They have a baked potato bar every day and that is heaven for her. L didnt like his pizza, said it tasted like cardboard. When I read they use only whole wheat flour, I understood. Hopefully they will adjust because they cant take ANY peanut butter to school so out with the PB &J's. It's ok, I havent found baggies yet at any store, but I've heard they exist here.
DA is supposed to get our banking stuff set up today. I hope so. It is difficult to explore the area without access to money, ATM card, credit card, etc.
I'm so used to being busy that this new pace is weird. The laundry takes a few hours a load, the suitcases are unpacked, we get 4 channels on the TV and I have no access to money. No wonder I'm on the computer. I will get more involved when we get a car and an ATM card. I did meet several moms after school yesterday. oh, the network formed by moms waiting for the kids after school. Some things never change. They have lived all over the world and were shocked that this was my first move. Their husbands work for the oil industry, apparently they move frequently. One Mom was from Dallas and had been here 2 weeks. Her husband works for a bank too, I will look for her again. The moms were very friendly.
The snow continues to fall. Wish you could see it.
Today is the kids second day at school and they rode the bus this morning. After 50 pound ride to pick them up yesterday in a taxi, we signed them up for the bus right away. If you know my kids you will appreciate their shock at having to be ready to leave at 7:15!!!!! A definite change from running to school at 7:58.
B was very happy with school. Her teacher and classmates were very friendly and welcoming. They are used to new students. They have had 19 new kids in the lower school since Christmas break.
L isnt quite sure yet. They have a complicated schedule that will take some adjusting to. Fortunately he had changed classes at WRE for the last 1.5 years. He now has several classes and teachers each day and they rotate schedules every 8 days- do they have different weeks here or what - I've never heard of an 8 day schedule. I dont know how they keep up with things. Just reading his schedule makes my head spin. He did meet some nice kids though. William (pronounced Willam) is his buddy. L isnt the tallest anymore. I asked him about the boys and he said they are all tall and skinny, he'll fit right in.
The food at the school is good. B told me I dont have to make her lunch anymore. They have a baked potato bar every day and that is heaven for her. L didnt like his pizza, said it tasted like cardboard. When I read they use only whole wheat flour, I understood. Hopefully they will adjust because they cant take ANY peanut butter to school so out with the PB &J's. It's ok, I havent found baggies yet at any store, but I've heard they exist here.
DA is supposed to get our banking stuff set up today. I hope so. It is difficult to explore the area without access to money, ATM card, credit card, etc.
I'm so used to being busy that this new pace is weird. The laundry takes a few hours a load, the suitcases are unpacked, we get 4 channels on the TV and I have no access to money. No wonder I'm on the computer. I will get more involved when we get a car and an ATM card. I did meet several moms after school yesterday. oh, the network formed by moms waiting for the kids after school. Some things never change. They have lived all over the world and were shocked that this was my first move. Their husbands work for the oil industry, apparently they move frequently. One Mom was from Dallas and had been here 2 weeks. Her husband works for a bank too, I will look for her again. The moms were very friendly.
The snow continues to fall. Wish you could see it.




0 comments:
Post a Comment