Monday, 22 January 2007

The journey begins

Because of the delay getting our Visa paperwork, we began our journey with a week at the beautiful Gaylord Texan. It was enhanced by the rain and ice that fell on our luggage in the back of the truck as we drove all the way across town. Note, the Gaylord has never promoted themselves as the "vacation" spot for families, which is a big clue that there is NOTHING for kids to do there except walk in the atrium. My kids got repremanded for climbing on the rocks, but come on, after 6 days in the hotel with ice on the streets outside wouldn't you be climbing the walls???
The driver laughed as we walked out with our 20 bags of luggage, but amazingly he got them all inside the suburban.
We spent a lovely 4 hours at the airport because the hotel driver insisted on taking us that early for an international flight. It made for a smooth and patient wait for the 9 hour plane ride (ha). I think my kids had one of every snack sold in terminal D.
My kids loved traveling in business class, and I must add, it was pretty nice. The seat in front of you is so far away that you have to get up and take a couple of steps just to have access to the bag you placed under there. I have to give it to American Airlines on that one. Comfy pillows and comforters too. L said " i love this plane". I thought, "I love someone else paying for us on this plane" otherwise we would be in the back. They made the flight great although I dont know how much sleep they got. It was afterall, about 7:00pm when I told them to go to sleep. Dramamine didnt seem to help.

0 comments: