Tuesday, 23 January 2007

The grocery situation

The grocery situation is interesting. There are 2 stores within walking distance, one has little baskets for you to carry and the other one has normal (small) grocery carts, but you have to pay 1 pound to use them. I went for the free hand held basket. Paying a store to use the cart is just something I'll have to get used to. I didnt understand how to unlock them anyway. Most things cost about the same as at home, except it is in pounds (which means twice as much) and the package is smaller, which means ...... I go to the store more often? No, really I found milk in a quart size and laundry detergent that is enough for 12 loads and a full size of pringles chips. L actually found Pop tarts too. I think I spent the equivalent of $60 and got 4 bags of grocery basics. You have to bag them yourselves and carry them while you walk home (and up 4 flights). The store I was in actually had a few mexican food items. No tortilla chips though. I took advantage of the kids being with me and had them help carry the bags. Otherwise I will have to do a smaller trip...tomorrow. It's true, no grape jelly here. Good thing we shipped a few bottles in our crate. that will be like Christmas. I havent come across Peanut butter yet, but I hear it's around. Since I burned a grilled cheese sandwich today in addition to the hair dryer and transformer, I didnt feel like cooking. DA and I had cheese, crackers, salami slices and water (no ice) for dinner. He thought we looked very European. I thought "no cookean".

0 comments: