Monday, 29 January 2007

School thoughts

The school the kids are attending feels more like a college campus. There is a beautiful, lush soccer field out front and a track in the next field. The sports center is nicer than our new LA Fitness back home. Olympic size pool, double gym, aerobics room, equipment room. Now I know where our tuition is going. The kids walk down to the sports center for swimming or to another building for regular PE. They have to wear a school PE uniform and required to have indoor trainers and outdoor trainers (tennis shoes). Not to be confused with the shoes you wore to school which are not allowed in PE since they might track dirt into the gym or mud into the school. The parents are allowed to join the center and work out. I am joining this week - we'll see if joining translates to working out.
The middle school is hard. L is trying to adjust. He is so excited about the extra reading we are doing at night to catch up - just what every 11 year old wants to do. B has a great environment and once she gets over being sad about leaving home, I think she will really like it. I asked if kids were from other countries in her class. One little girl is from France, and B said another "is Jewish". Didnt know that was a country! She said he tells them all the time, "I am the only Jewish boy in class". B doesnt even know what that means. We tried to explain. Who said we weren't homeschooling.
The drive to school is very long. No wonder half the kids ride the bus. It was a 2 hr. round trip to get there and back today. (on time, thank you!) and it is only 8 miles away. We must move closer. Overall, I like the school. We'll see if it grows on the kids.
Having just left home where it is tough to get someone to publish a weekly newsletter for the school, I laugh at this school's monthly, 100+ page bound "connection". They publish this book monthly! In addition to all the school news, it carries all the ads for businesses and products geared towards the American "expats" - which WE technically arent, but thats another topic. Also the American families who are moving publish entire listings of all their possessions for sale as they get transferred away. They cant take the UK electronics with them, so they sell them. We are hoping to score a few deals from that. We are waiting for the next "connection". L really wants a TV in his room. DA and I just want a TV period. Maybe I'll find a replacement hair dryer.

0 comments: