I've been reading on my Dallas news page that gasoline has hit $4 per gallon. Ouch. I'm sure that's going to keep a few people around the house this summer. As I was filling up with diesel this morning, the sign looks pretty nice - reading "1.28" but then you remember that it's PER LITRE. ouch again. that works out to $9.80 per gallon after conversion. Believe me, we feel your pain over the gas/diesel price. I try to ride my bike as much as possible and DA drives his scooter every day, which gets great gas mileage, so we try to do our part saving money on gas.
After living here for 1.5 years, I feel like I am over the sticker shock, but as I left the petrol station I drove to one little store where they stock a few US groceries to pick up 2 items we are out of and my kids really want. A1 sauce - B's favorite - 7 GBP per bottle. choke. that coverts to $14 FOR A1 sauce. And even if you didnt convert, 7 GBP is just too much for glorified ketchup! Similar scene with the smooth peanut butter. $4 for the size of jar that's barely larger than a baby food jar. Needless to say, my kids are going without for right now. Left the store empty handed.
I know the cost of traveling here is crazy, but so is living here. Sometimes I just want to shake the people who price these things. Take the train tickets. Another of my major beefs. They want you to use public transportation because it helps with over crowded roads, better environmental choice, possibly arrive quicker and dont have to mess with finding a car park you can afford, but train ticket prices aren't cheap.
Pretty soon no one is going to be able to afford living in England. It's just crazy.
There are so many US expats leaving the country right now. I bet there will be almost a 40% turnover in our school population. It will be interesting to see how things work out. I think the job market in the States must be affecting the jobs of people here and they are being called home. I know the gas price is just one indication of the rising cost of living, but I really hope things will improve for both England and the US.
ok, I'll get off my soap box for now. (PS. I think that phrase originated in England with Speakers standing on their soap boxes on Speaker's corner in London. Maybe I should just take my soap box up there to give my speech this weekend and spare you!)
Tuesday, 10 June 2008
The cost of Living!!!
Posted by Bridget at 13:39
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment