I'm so proud. Look at the results of my first attempt at English scones. They were yummy! Even served them with real clotted cream and strawberry/rhubarb jam I bought in the Cots wolds. I hosted a "coffee" for newly arriving American Expats today. I decided that to enhance their new English experience, I should bake scones. That's not such a big task, but since I have NEVER had a successful baking experience here in the UK, it was a real gamble. I was tempted to buy some extra store bought scones yesterday - just in case, but they were not needed. My scones turned out so well. I was so pleased (and shocked). Part of the baking problem stems from the different measurements of US vs. the metric that I buy here. Needing 8T. of butter from my recipe is hard to convert to a slab of 250g of butter. Also the baking powder is a different strengths so when reading a recipe, you need know whether it is written for US users or UK users and then decide if the ingredients are US or UK and make conversion - if possible. Amazing that we would do things so differently - we measure by volume and they measure by weight. Then the infamous oven. But today I overcame it all and had success. woo-hoo.
Wednesday, 23 July 2008
My first attempt at English Scones
Posted by Bridget at 17:01
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
Way to go with the scones. I have yet to have anything that I have baked turn out correctly. Try not to overheat too much in your heat wave. All winter long when it was cold and cloudy, I kept reminding myself that this summer the weather would be so much more pleasant than the Texas heat.
Post a Comment