This week we were treated to fun times with my mom and younger sister. As usual, I ran them into the ground with all sorts of London-y, British things to do. We did the double decker bus tour, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, West End show Wicked, National Gallery, Victoria & Albert museum, Borough Market, Trafalgar, Picadilly, Harrods, Fortnum & Mason, Hampton Court Palace, Covent Garden, Stonehenge, the Cotswolds, Sunbury Antique show, etc. whew. We also made time for some yummy homemade scones and clotted cream. I know they looked forward to napping on the flight home just to rest up from our touring.
My kids were thrilled to receive some Easter candy treats from home. You just can beat those Reece's candy eggs. B told me this morning, "Grandmommy must not trust me with candy any more cause she told me several times I could only have 1 piece a day. I guess she remembers when I ate that whole bag the first time she visited." ha. Just for the record - after 1 week, there are still 2 pieces left!
We tried to provide a sampling of all the English weather so that they could get the full grasp of life here: sun, wind, rain, gray, cold, cool ---no warmth. Same ole, same ole. At least they saw the sun and got to experience a couple days of British Summer time when the clocks change and it stays light later. YIPEE!
The G20 Summit (and protests) have been in the news for days. I knew the security and police presence would be intense in the city. Monday was our last day touring around in the city and the police presence that day was crazy even though the G20 was 2 days away. The Mexico State visit was occuring at Buckingham which allowed us a nice view of all the pomp that goes along with a State visit. However, the police were everywhere - diverting traffic and footpaths. My mom was almost run over by the police who were trying to bust up some guys staging a protest. She was literally inches from being knocked over. I tried to get us out of that area as quickly as possible. When we got over to Westminster Abbey/Parliament, there must have been some big deal going on there too because we saw tons and tons of limos with the guys in black coats with the long, funny looking wigs and police on every corner.
We finished their tour with a power shopping trip through Sunbury Antique show at Kempton Park on our way to the airport. It's lots of fun to go through there and find trinkets to buy. My mom and sister were able to add some treasures to their haul. I'm always on the lookout for that one iconic thing that will define our life here. I believe mine MIGHT be English pottery since I seem to have an illness about buying it all the time! but I keep my eyes open for items the kids or DA would want to have so that every time they look at it they will remember their lives here.
Now that our last guests have left, DA told me this morning it's time to start cleaning out for our move back home. uhg!
It's all happening too fast. Anyone else want to come see us so I can put that chore off a little longer?????




0 comments:
Post a Comment