G20 summit - it might be beneficial, but it has turned London on it's head. I agree that the leaders need to meet, and I appreciate England pulling this together and hosting, but the protests around the G20 seem very dangerous. Currently I am watching Sky news which is showing all the people protesting out in front of the Bank Of England. So far, it looks peaceful enough, but it has just started. My hats off to the security and police who are trying to keep the peace. It looks like a mad house out there.
The bankers in the city were told to dress down today so that they would not be targeted for violence on their way to work (however, they need to wear a suit at work). There are 2 major banking districts, one is known as "The City" AKA "the Square Mile" where the Bank of England and other very important banks are based and the other district is Canary Wharf. 27% of all the banking in the world takes place in London, so there are LOTS of bankers. One of the professors at a local university organized violence against bankers. Fortunately, it looks like he was fired for his violent tactics, but the protesters got the "call", and as a result, the police are trying to keep everyone safe.
Every group with an axe to grind has decided that the G20 is the place to make their voices heard. I hope that all goes peacefully and that the world leaders come to agreements that will help the economy, but in the mean time, I hope for calmness in the city.
Wednesday, 1 April 2009
G20 Summit
Posted by Bridget at 12:15
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment