Sunday, 11 January 2009

Back in the Old Country

Over Christmas we were so excited to have had the opportunity to visit HOME in Texas (and Tennessee). Our first visit Stateside in a year so lots of people to see and a long to-do list that barely has a scratch on it. So pleased to have a choice to make - visit family and friends - or shop, but hey, I can shop in England. Had to visit with everyone!
Just to give myself a little credit - I only had 1.5 hours TOTAL at Northpark mall and about 30 min at the Galleria. Was able to get into Target 3 times, but since we only had 1 car for the trip, DA was with me everytime and was drumming his fingers so I could only go to the exact department we were heading to. I mean, come on, Target is for browsing. You never know what good things you'll find there - especially when you haven't been in a whole year!! Oh, on my one trip to Walmart to buy some American candy, B was with me and she said, "what kind of stuff do they sell at Walmart?" ha. I know we've been gone a while, but it just makes me proud she didn't know what was inside a Walmart. Maybe the only American kid ever to ask that question.
It was a great time at home. L was mad he didn't get to spend more time with his friends, B was happy she got to play with lots of her friends, but she was still begging for us to leave her behind. She claims that 6 months isn't so long - she could start school there, live with friends and see us in the summer. What an independent girl. DA and I were so lucky to have had to chance to see so many friends. Didn't get to Prestoncrest, but would love to have visited there too.
We've adjusted well this week. Sleeping on schedule again. All Christmas stuff is put away. Amazingly found room for all the gifts. We've had snow, ice and freezing temps this week so I've tried to stay warm in my cold house. Crazy to come back from 83 degrees in Dallas to -2 in England. I'm afraid of my electric bill though. Every time I turn the furnaces on, I wonder if I should just leave the house instead of trying to heat it.
The one thing DA and I are really missing right now is the taste of the food in Texas. As great as it is, it could also be considered a mistake to reintroduce our taste buds to good food from home. Every single meal at home tasted exactly like it should have! no weird substitutions or ingredients that were a little wonky. The chips and salsa at Mi Cocina-----so good. Houston's---so good. Iced tea---so good. Even Taco Bell tasted good. On our taco night this week, DA and I could hardly eat the tortillas. They are real Dorito brand chips, but are so pitifully made with ingredients from England.
Last January I had such a hard time coming back, had to buy into the whole English experience again, but this year is a little different. I had my happy little Mini to come back to. It's my absolute favorite thing about living here.
Now we are back to real life in England, orchestra concerts, basketball games, work, and my little activities (ha). The days are getting longer -yeah, and I can already tell that the sun stays up a little longer each afternoon.
Our 2 year arrival anniversary is coming up in a few days so we will have to have a little Uncle Sam celebration. So begins 2009...Happy New Year.

0 comments: