Sunday, 25 January 2009

2 year anniversary

woo hoo! This week we celebrated our 2 year anniversary of our arrival in Great Britain. Honestly, I never thought we'd make it this long. I remember those cold first nights when I told (or maybe shouted) DA I thought we had made the biggest mistake ever, how could we ever have "done this" to our kids, and why on earth did we ever think it was a good idea to move here. All of these things you must read with lots of drama and hysterics to get the full effect!
Yet here we are 2 years later with smiles on our faces eating a little congratulatory cake to ourselves with our "Old Glory" and Union Jack flags.
I drove 45 min to the local Costco that day, and as I was walking by the bakery section looking for bagels, I realized that a good old American style white cake with REAL white sugar icing would be the perfect way to celebrate. Costco is the only place I've seen that sells American style bakery cakes. All the English bakeries that I've seen use a disgusting fondant icing that tastes horrible on cakes that you have to order 10 days in advance. No quick run to the Collin's Street bakery for a cake or cupcakes here!
This is a photo right before my kids had a piece of cake - they soon went into a sugar crazed frenzy - the Perfect way to celebrate our American memories.
Yes, you've seen these props before in other photos. Those 4th of July goodies the Barnes sent us those first months have certainly come in handy. I carefully clean them off and store them away after every holiday.

0 comments: