One really cute thing they did in B's classroom last week was have an "assembly" for the classroom parents on all the things they had learned about Native Americans in their study of native American folklore. After reading all that folklore, the students had to tell a story from their own family to pass along some personal folklore. B had a story from her Meme in Tennessee that she had fun telling. The teacher recorded all the students on her Ipod and played them for the parents during the assembly. It was so interesting to hear family folklore stories from literally all over the world just in her one little classroom. The kids did a precious job and it is really cool to hear things from Greece, Poland, South Korea, Latvia, Chile, etc.
One of the groups had to make a display of clothing worn by Native Americans. I complemented one of the girls on her paper turquoise necklace and said she must have had a good necklace to look at. She commented that she had never seen turquoise in real life. Neither had her partner. funny, something i would have never considered that these kids wouldnt have ever laid their eyes on turquoise. I took in several samples of jewelry today and they were very happy. Just to be cool, B had to wear one of the bracelets so that they could ooh and ahh over it. I'm sure she enjoyed being the center of attention. photo is B and her samples of N.A. arts and crafts
One of the groups had to make a display of clothing worn by Native Americans. I complemented one of the girls on her paper turquoise necklace and said she must have had a good necklace to look at. She commented that she had never seen turquoise in real life. Neither had her partner. funny, something i would have never considered that these kids wouldnt have ever laid their eyes on turquoise. I took in several samples of jewelry today and they were very happy. Just to be cool, B had to wear one of the bracelets so that they could ooh and ahh over it. I'm sure she enjoyed being the center of attention. photo is B and her samples of N.A. arts and crafts




1 comments:
We are living in Zurich, so we are not too close to Zermatt. I have heard that it is beautiful there so you all should have fun. I have had quite a few people comment on how brave we were coming here with a toddler. It has not been bad and our son travels really well. I am just sad he will not remember all of the places that he is going. I am sure your kids will look back and love all of the fun things that they have gotten to do.
That is interesting that no one had seen turquoise before. I guess those are just things that we take for granted.
Talk to you soon.
Post a Comment