Friday, 30 March 2007

update on driving situation

well, after couple of months I have gotten much more comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road. I almost always remember to drive on the left, unless I am turning onto a road that is empty - I have a few times caught myself driving on the right in those instances - oops. One road here by the library is as wide as a one lane road, but it has a line painted down the middle indicating 2 way. One mom commented, "just because you paint a line doesnt mean there is room for 2 cars". The road is about 8 feet wide - come on! It's a one way road - which ever way I need it to be going - thank you very much - but a one way road!
One thing I just can't get used to is getting in on the right side to drive. I have walked to the left side so many times. Even after all this time, I actually got in on the wrong side again yesterday. When will I learn? Then when I do get in on the correct side, I always reach over the wrong shoulder to fasten my seatbelt. The kids just laugh and laugh as my hand is flapping around in the air looking for the ghost seatbelt.
I havent taken driving lessons yet because I have to take the driving test and it is something you have to study for and I didnt want to take time for that yet. My US license is good for a year. Also, a major deterent is that you have to put this obnoxious "L" sticker on the front and back of your car (read L for loser) and drive around for a few days (or weeks). Most US moms try to time it so their Loser time is when they are on holiday or visiting the States and they wont be seen driving around that way. I have to decide when is the best time to be humiliated. I'll let you know.
I have hit the left side of my tires so many times that if they had been white wall tires, they would now be black and blue tires, but I proudly have kept my hubcaps on. I was sitting at a red light a couple weeks back and I felt my car tilt. A huge construction truck scraped the side of the car and I didnt realize what was happening until I heard the side mirror get bent all the way forward and snap back - it didnt come off, but I was left with lovely yellow and blue paint marks, scratches and dents all down the left side. They drove off so quickly in the other lane that I didnt get their license number, but at least it is a lease car. Maybe all those things will happen before we get our car in May (things take a long time here!). On second thought, maybe this would be a good time to have the L sticker on my car. The combo of L sticker and paint marks and scratches may allow me a wide berth as I drive through town, something to consider.

0 comments: