Public transportation in the UK is a wonderful thing. It is fairly convenient and takes you most places you need to go. One thing that cracks me up is that the locals basically RUN off the train. I pick DA up at the station every afternoon and within 45 seconds (i timed it) the platform is cleared, the cyclists have ridden off and the people who parked their cars have left - all of this BEFORE DA even walks off the platform. I mean deserted within 45 seconds. I get a kick watching everyone in such a rush. of course, DA in his slow, meandering way, follows up behind them all. I bet they curse him as he stands on the escalators in the tube instead of running down the stairs. you just wait - when you come visit you will be amazed at how fast people walk in and out of the stations. and beware, you need your ticket to exit the tube stations, so dont get in their way looking for yours.
DA has had other train issues too. there are 3 trains stations in our area that he can use to ride home. Depending on which train is leaving next, he decides which to take and then calls to let me know which station to pick him up. well, last week I am on my way to station X, he calls to say he missed getting off! he was standing at the train door, waiting for the door to open automatically like it does on his tube line and low and behold, you have to press the "open" button to open the doors. the train rolls away with him still standing at the door looking at the platform. fortunately, I had my map in the car and was able to find the next station on the line in the next town.
A few days later, he calls to let me know his destination, and then calls back to let me know got off at the wrong station. he was concentrating on a difficult Suduko puzzle (yeah, right), the people around him got up and off the train, so he just followed them off - looked up and he had exited at the wrong station. I was lucky to have my phone with me and knew where he was or else I would have been patiently waiting at the other station. ( Dont tell anyone I wasnt using a hands free device - mobile phone use while driving is a huge penalty)!
But all this will be his problem starting next week - we bought a scooter(yes a scooter, not motorcycle - cheaper to buy, own and park) for him to drive himself to the station so he will have to remember which station he left from and get back to at night. I hope he has a camera phone to take picture to remind himself. He can check it when his alarm goes off to wake him up when it's time to get off. It will be a sight to see, briefcase, suit and shiny work shoes under his helmet and rain suit riding down the road on a scooter. I'll post a picture soon.
Friday, 30 March 2007
The trains
Posted by Bridget at 12:13
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment