
You may think this is a joke, but when thinking back to all the places in London and greater England that we've visited - I have to say one of my absolute favorite places of all is Stoke-on-Trent. Specifically the Burgess and Leigh (Burleigh) factory in Stoke. My own personal OZ!! It is where I bought the transferware pottery that I love. Fortunately, my friends share my love of pottery, so we've have a great time finding pieces. We even had a complete Burleigh tea party a few weeks ago with a full set for 7. Cream tea with homemade scones and clotted cream never tasted so good!
What I love about Burleigh is that it is still being handmade in the same Victorian factory as it has for the last 150 years. Spode and the others are now mainly (or even exclusively) made in Maylasia. If you'd like a little background, check out this webpage. http://www.burleigh.co.uk/burleigh-process.php

No specific reason to post this... I just had to list all our stuff on the insurance shipping forms so I had to spend time today looking up their replacement value. Just made me wish I could have time to visit again before our movers arrive. I wont, but I do have some great memories visiting there. My breakfast tea cup and saucer just make my English tea taste even better. Wonder if it will taste the same in Dallas????




0 comments:
Post a Comment