Sunday, 31 May 2009

a relaxing weekend at home.

Much to the kids excitement, we planned on spending a relaxing weekend at home, cleaning out the house - getting ready for the move. Turned out to be a great weekend - beautiful, sunny 70 degree weather - but not much cleaning out.
Friday lunch at a great pub in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!! with good friends. It's literally at the end of a road off the end of another road in the Surrey Hills. (Friday Street in Abinger Common). Very pretty setting.
Stopped off in Dorking for some antique shopping on the way home. Ended up buying an old cast iron kitchen scale with a copper bowl. It weighs a ton. Cute though. I have no idea where to put it!
Met some ACU college friends for lunch on Saturday in Hampton Court village. Glad we could get a moment with them on their whirlwind tour through London.
Afternoon strawberry picking at the local "pick your own" farm. I think they are really about a week away from being really good, but overall, I believe strawberries are Britian's best natural resource. so good.
Saturday night BBQ outing with good friends who we will miss when we move. B asked if we were eating BBQ, but no, that is just the general term used for cooking outside on the grill and having an outdoor party. The weather was fabulous.
Today L and I went to Thorpe Park for some thrilling amusement park rides. On the hottest day of the year so far (27 C). If you want, check out www.thorpepark.co.uk and click on "rides" and then "extreme rides" to see the ride videos. They show some of the crazy ones. We rode Colossus and Nemisis. That Colossus video will make you sick with all 10 of the cork screws. Just imagine how that feels in person. lots of fun.
I also rode "Saw" - it was intense! L opted out due to the fact it goes straight up in the air at 90 degrees and flips right over to go straight down. Me? I sat on the front with some random teenagers. I'm sure they were wondering who the crazy old lady was.
B isn't into roller coasters too much, so she and DA went to see Night at the Museum 2 instead. (A note about Thorpe Park - if you remember a photo of Princess Diana going on a Log Ride with Princes Wills and Harry when they were young boys- that is Thorpe Park. We went on that ride today too.)
Fortunately for me :-) DA is a much better organizer/cleaner outer/stay on task- packer upper than I am, so he still managed to make good progress on B's room. My contribution to the day???? I went to pick up hamburgers from the hamburger shack that parks on the high street after 6:00pm. The kids keep asking why we dont have any "real" food. I guess all the bits in the pantry dont count. Besides I'm trying to clean out the pantry, not refill it! (can't ship back any food items).
No cool European travel, but enjoyed some good ole British fun instead. Great weather just makes everything better.
And the cherry on top ... Chelsea won the FA CUP. Go Blues!

0 comments: