I'm almost too embarrassed to post this story, but it's a part of my crazy life, so here goes.
DA planned a guys trip to play golf in Scotland (Old Course at St. Andrews) and do a little fly fishing as well. It just so happened that I was invited to go on a "plein air" painting course in France that same weekend. I declined so that DA could go golfing without any conflict of babysitters, getting kids to/from school, etc. I've had lots of opportunities to go and do with the girls and he has been working hard at the bank. Lo and behold, he surprised me by planning the babysitter and setting things up so I could go to France while he was on his trip. Earned some brownie points there!!!
Here I am sitting in Carla Bayle, France doing a little painting. Plein air (pronounced PLAIN air) means painting outside in the elements - quickly and with a limited color palette. Now I havent picked up oil paints in probably 35 years, but I did my best.
Our gite (pronounced zsheet)The place we stayed (Manzac D'en Bas in Castex) is in the south western part of France. Our "gite" overlooked the Pyrenees mountain range that separates France from Spain. Our hosts bought this old farm house 6 years ago and have spent the time redoing every square inch themselves- including digging out and installing their pool. It is amazing the amount of work they've done from the run down, falling down farmhouse of old, to this fabulous charming little get away. (the family lives in the middle section with the green shutters). They saved every single thing they pulled out of the house, including lumber which they had denailed - and reused, to rocks to roof tiles to hay feeders, etc. They stored it all carefully and have tried to use it all in order to be environmentally responsible. Very impressive.
It was so beautiful there and the French food was amazing.
View from just above the house.We went to a little Sunday market in Mont Bruen (??? spelling) that was filled with interesting characters and fabulous old buildings.

Market town. Aren't those buildings cool?

Here I am with my buddy Julie at the market.
We thought we'd be in for a little shopping experience, but it's more for the locals to buy things they need like juice, veg, fruit, plants, clothes, etc. plus Native Indian leather clothes (that was a shocker). I didnt buy anything, just people watched . The majority of folks were plain ole hippies. Dred locks, tie dye, haram pants - the works.

Our host family was so attentive that we jokingly ended up calling the husband "Giles, the sherpa". He carried our paint tables around, served breakfast, "elevenses", lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. He took us out on our field trip painting and kept the coffee/tea coming when we painted at the gite. It was so fun. Lots of fun and laughs - mainly geared toward our pitiful paintings!

Here's a sample of our work laid out in the "drying room". Mine are the 3 on the bottom right hand side.
I dont think I'll be selling or even framing my paintings, but hey, when will I EVER in my life have the chance to go on a painting course in southern France. What a blessed life!





0 comments:
Post a Comment