Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Snow Day

On Monday we awoke to a blanket of 12" of snow!!!! That is the most snow I have ever had fall upon my house - anywhere - except maybe in the Rocky Mountains on a ski trip.

The kids walking down the main road in our area. Tons of folks were out and about walking around.



I think the house looks pretty in the snow.

B making snow angels with her buddies.

No plows in the town, streets are chock full of snow. It may take a long time to thaw if they cant plow anything.
This sounded like a good idea until he tried the one knee, no hands slide down the sledding hill. Note that it is a trash bag covered boogie board that 0ne would normally use on the waves in the ocean.


The kids were so excited to see so much snow. The entire day was spent outside playing. L announced it was too deep to make a snowman. An occurrence we have never come across before.

B receives a huge push from L down the sledding hill.

DA worked from home. The tube lines basically were shut down. Only the Victoria line had good service and Central line had severe delays. All other lines were closed in the morning, so DA couldn't get into work - not to mention if he could even drive out of our neighborhood!! I made a valiant effort to dig out our cars using a -----rake. No shovels here! Admittedly after an hour I hadn't made much progress, so I abandoned that effort.


For any of you "Holiday" movie lovers, this is the one week where it might look like that - snow everywhere. I think this little lane right in front of our garden looks just like the movie. This is real Surrey covered in snow.


Today (Tuesday) is also a snow day. More fun. We walked down to the village for a little outing. No bread at the grocery store, but most of the stores opened today for reduced hours. The trains were running limited service so DA went into the city late in the morning. He made a rookie mistake - wore his dress shoes and suit and had to trek across 12" deep snow at the train car park. We are such Texans that we don't even know what businessmen wear to trudge through the snow to work. I'm sure folks are chuckling at him. He made it fine, but said it was very slippery. I wont be taking the Mini out, that is for sure. I think it only has a 6" clearance to the ground and the snow is deeper than that. Might have to be rescued again if I tried that. I'll be walking everywhere I need to go!

Just got word, another school snow day on Wednesday --- running out of things to do!!!!!!!

0 comments: