Thursday, 2 October 2008

Fun in London


My goal since school started (6 weeks ago) has been to get into the city every Tuesday for a London experience. The welcome coffees, hello mixers, meet a new friend teas, etc (just kidding, but seems like that) are finally complete and now I can do what I want to do. The fun started this week. 2 friends joined me for my first viewing of the changing of the guard at Buckingham. We had planned to go tour Clarence House, but it's just our luck that the last day the palace was open was the day BEFORE. Clarence is closed until next fall. Missed that opportunity. The changing of the guard, I'm sorry to say, was a little bit of a let down. I've seen all the marching guards I can take over the last year and a half and I think the Trooping of the Color just trooped me right over the bear skin hat edge! We had a spot at the fence at Buckingham, but you still cant really tell what's going on when they change the guard. I took a few photos anyway and had more fun sharing laughs with my friends. We walked to Texas Embassy for lunch - which my Seattle friend thinks is amazing. If she only knew! I told her it might taste just like Mexican food in Seattle, but I think it is mediocre at best. Although the ACU flag hanging on the ceiling makes the T.E. hold a special place in my heart. It was the first time I've heard country music in a while. Garth still sounds the same.
We added a little more culture to our day by touring the "Banqueting House" which was not for banquets at all, but it is the last remaining building that was part of Whitehall Palace from centuries ago. If you read about British history, Whitehall is mentioned over and over. I could never really figure out where it was, but now I know, it burned down and the Banqueting house is all that is left. Pretty place and fortunately, can see it all in about 30 min.


We made another trip to London today for a quick shop at Borough market.
Bought some great, gigantic artichokes and some figs. First time I've ever bought figs, but I like them. Do they sell figs in Dallas? Saw them filming the cooking show "Market Kitchen" too.
Took a leisurely stroll down the South bank from Southwark (pronounced "sutherk") to Waterloo. Very chilly along the water - coat, scarf and gloves were worn by my friends, but the sun was shining, so we were soaking up every minute of it. I cant believe we were on the beach just last Sunday. As of today, I think the autumn arrived with a date named winter! I heard a man today say it was "fresh" outside. Never heard that term before, but I guess it means "cold".


came across this man fishing in the Thames River. he was fishing for eels. That is St. Paul's in the background.

1 comments:

Amy McCown said...

I think that I may start saying that it is "fresh" outside. They do sell figs in Dallas, but I have only seen then in Central Market. Whole foods may have them as well. I have seen some good recipes for them with goat cheese. I am going to have to try it soon.