Friday, 22 February 2008

Birthday success!

Finally, I was able to pull off a kids' birthday in England with success!! whoopee. In order to accomplish this, I started a few weeks ago ordering US cake mixes that I could use to make a cake and cupcakes - for you in the "older" set - now kids have a little celebration at school hence the need for cupcakes for school and a separate cake for the party. The one thing I forgot was that I didn't bring my muffin tins with me. I was not going to let that defeat me. Little "fairy cake" papers squished together in a cake pan should work, right? WRONG. The first batch of cupcakes spilled out of the muffin papers creating a huge globby mess. Into the bin they go. Fortunately for me, I had ordered an extra box of cake mix. Found some foil muffin liners and started all over. Success, although they were misshaped and kinda funny looking, but once they had icing (canned icing, see next story) and sprinkles B was happy. Next, the cake. Now I used to do cake decorating as a hobby and had brought a few of my basic supplies with me, but I am fairly particular and expect things to turn out looking well. B decided she wanted a "dolphin" cake and I made the mistake of asking her to draw what she wanted it to look like. After I reigned her in from the "dolphin world in the sky" I finally talked her into a basic cake that I could make with the 4 colors of icing tint I had since I cant find any different colors here. She insisted on helping, which is great, except for the comment at the end of a l-o-n-g baking, decorating day - "Mom, it's not the best cake you've ever done". thanks alot! I think little 9 year old hands had a part in it too, which she was completely forgetting. Part of the problem - as usual - is that my US icing recipe does not make up as well with English ingredients. Yes, it seems like it would, but no. I even saved a bar of Crisco for the day so that I could make sure and have what I needed. I thought 1kg of icing sugar would make up the same as 2lbs of powdered sugar, but not exactly, which caused several trial and error icing issues. In the end I think things turned out fine - one smiling dolphin in the middle of the sea. Not too many colors needed. Then at the party her friend (from a European country) says, "dolphins are brown, not gray" Well not in America they're not! We have gray dolphins just like the cake! All that aside, she had a great party at the ski center where they did sledging and mini ringo riding - basically riding plastic sleds and inner tubes down hills covered in a white AstroTurf type surface. The place told me to invite 20 and to expect about 10 since I was having it on a week night. I agreed since it on a school night, in February, outside in the cold air - but surprisingly, all but 2 children were able to come. They had a blast! It was pretty cool and had rained just prior to the party, but the kids were dripping with sweat. B did one more very nice thing, she suggested a coin donation in lieu of kids bringing gifts. I expected her to raise about 20 GBP, but instead she raised more than 165 GBP. She is donating it to Global Angels where she can designate to feed and educate a child for a year. With that much money, I think it pays for 4 kids. We were very proud of her and thought it was a lovely gesture to make.

So today I sit back, clean up the mess and pat myself on the back for FINALLY having a successful birthday celebration in England. Took a year to get here, but made it.
B is in red helmet
B, L and another friend
The cake!

3 comments:

christine said...

Hi, Thanks for commenting on my blog. :) Books hmmm---I usually just find a Waterstones and look in their 'best-seller' section or their classics. Zadie Smith's 'White Teeth' is great, Monica Ali- Brick Lane is another good one. Of course all the well known ones like Dickens, Jane Austen are good too. You could check out Richard & Judy (from the TV)---they have a most recommended list kind of like Oprah's book club (I read a lot of stuff off Oprah's book club too). Ah--I could list a bazillion. Do you have a good Waterstones in Surrey? I love going to them and just wandering. Anyway--hope this is of some help. Feel free to stop by my blog anyday. :) It is always nice to meet people who are in the same position as me.

Stephanie said...

It was great to see you today at book club! I didn't even realize Brinley just had a birthday. I was actually going to ask for ideas of what to do for Trinity's birthday next Monday. Guess I should just buy a cake, huh? She saw a mermaid cake at Waitrose that she liked the other day.

I loved Brinley's dolphin cake. You did a great job! I know it must have been hard to make here. Maybe that's why I've only found cakes with fondant icing? The place you had her party sounds really neat. I'll have to check that out!

Stephanie said...

One more thing...
I'm very impressed with Brinley for choosing to donate money for her birthday. It shows what a sweet heart she has. How grown up! :)