Today some friends and I went shopping at the Ardingly Antique Faire. It is located about 40 miles away in West Sussex. It was my first time to drive there and I was a little nervous about finding a tiny town way off the main roads in the remote English countryside - especially because I could not find a postcode for the address. (My TomTom (satnav) needs a postcode so setting off without one was very risky!!!). Fortunately we stumbled upon the showgrounds without too much effort. Shopping was fun. It's alot like Canton except there are English antiques everywhere. Well not exactly like Canton - many people wear Wellies - the expensive 200 GBP kind - and even saw a man wearing a "sherlock holmes style" cape and funky hat today - very funny looking. I was with 3 other super shopping friends. I ended up winning the award for spending the least (15 GBP for some Copeland pottery), but I saw some fine shopping being done! I would love to take any of you visitors there if the faire is going on while you visit. It's very interesting to compare English antiques with American ones. Also if there is anything you collect and would like me to pick up for you - let me know and I will keep an eye out as I shop the antique markets. You'd have to wait until we move back home to receive it, but hey - what's another year in the life of an antique?!
We mainly got a kick out of all the egg cups for sell. I never knew there was such a market for egg cups. We saw sterling silver cups, old antique cups and cute ceramics too. Coddled eggs must be a mainstay for the English breakfast, which is news to me. I thought baked beans were the breakfast specialty! (yuk, I know, but true). All in all, a great day out on a beautiful English, sunny, cool day.
Wednesday, 27 February 2008
Ardingly Antique Faire
Posted by Bridget at 16:44
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment