After living in Dallas all these years, I thought I was used to the 'busy'ness of a city. But after spending time in London, I am realizing what a HUGE city it is. It is unbelievable to me that Live Earth concert (60,000+), Tour de France (1 million +), Wimbledon, Justin Timberlake concert, all the West End shows, horse races, car races, etc., can all be full on the SAME DAY. That doesn't even count the people going about their own business - working and carrying on as usual. Where do all these people live? I am amazed that mass transit can move all these people around like it's no big deal. The police are working really hard in light of recent terrorist events and life goes on in the midst of it all. There are so many choices that we have a hard time deciding what activity to do. And the funny thing is that the roads are so SMALL. Really, 2 lanes each direction is a big road. That makes it even more impressive that so many people move about the city effortlessly.
If any of you are getting sick of our "we did this and we did that" routine, I apologize. It's just that we have never had such a variety of choice before and without any outside obligations. No teams, no home ownership issues, no school organizations - just family time to go and do as we please. It is a small capsule of time that we are trying to fill with as many "English" experiences as we can. So bear with me as I write about them all. It's as much a diary for us as it is for you to read. We'll be back in Texas complaining about the weather and eating at Mi Cocina as our big event of the week before we know it.
Cheers. (we are working on saying that like the British - we are way too cheery when we say it and the Texas accent just makes it laughable.)
Sunday, 8 July 2007
London thoughts
Posted by Bridget at 21:43
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment