Wednesday, 28 October 2009

One last trip to the Lake District

After our trip to Glasgow, Scotland, the kids and I drove down to the Lake District for one last look around. I love that area. So pretty and scenic. We stayed in the same lodge again, but this time it wasn't quite as cushy as our last stay. A little on the "hmmm" side of things. Definitely worth it to spend more on the upscale cabin if you can.
We did a hike, rented a boat on lake Windermere for the air show, did kayaking on the lake, and our favorite thing - the GO APE course. GO APE is a high ropes course that is a franchise company. One of their great courses is in the Lake District. All the tall trees make for a perfect high ropes course. We were able to zip line for what seemed a 1/4 of a mile over the road. It took 3 hours to do the course without stopping. Fun for the whole family! Do it if you have the chance. Fortunately B was old enough and tall enough to do the course. I think it might end up being her favorite thing EVER in Europe.
I took lots of photos since I didn't know when we would ever get back here.
(postscript : our photos are no longer in our possession. Everything was stolen - computer, SD card, and our back up hard drive...Unfortunately we never made a photo book of the Lake district area so all those thousands of photos I took have to stay in my head :-( wish I had at least uploaded some of them to the blog.)
It rained most of the week we were in Windermere, but that was ok by me.
One crazy side note - we were traveling with all of our luggage that we needed for the entire summer (5 heavy bags plus a couple of carryons) - remember we are without a home at this point. We were required to have all our jewelry and important papers with us since the movers would not insure those things if they were taken inside the shipping container. Anyway, I made the major mistake of leaving my jewelry bag in the safe in our Glasgow hotel, but the safe was OPEN. Could have easily been stolen. Had I only known that was a precursor to what was coming later in the summer. Anyway, we had moved out of the house, so our phone number and address that the hotel had was null and void. The hotel graciously put my jewelry case in their main safe and tried to contact us, but we were unreachable.
Oh, by the way, my jewelry case also included OUR PASSPORTS!!! and my wedding ring. Not good at all.
DA happened to ask me where the passports were and that is when we discovered that we didn't have possession of them any more. I took a train back to Glasgow the next morning and was so fortunate to be able to pick them up from the hotel. Major, major blessing.
Needless to say, that kind of put a gloomy spell on the rest of our stay in the Lake District.
... Moving on... literally... we moved on to our last and final touring spot, Wales.

0 comments: