Wednesday, 3 December 2008

The Queen



I finally got to see the Queen today. Funny to be here for so long and only just now have the opportunity to see her. It was the State Opening of Parliament. They do a whole pomp and circumstance routine with all the carriages, horse guards, footmen, crown, Queen, etc. We watched on the parade route down Whitehall to the Parliament building that is attached to Big Ben's tower. We were standing right by Downing Street.
This is the carriage that carries the crown only. The Queen rides in a separate carriage. From what I have been told - a member of parliament is locked in the Tower while the crown is out for this duty. It is that valuable that it needs live collateral. It was stated, "the Queen can be replaced, but the crown can't." That sounds a little harsh to me, but hey, it's their country!
Whatever, I'm just happy I've finally seen the Queen. She goes by in a flash though. The horses are at a trot and if you blink, you miss her. I may have only seen her through the camera lens, but here is my proof.

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

No Way!!! Amy and I were down there too. Your pictures are a little better than mine. I'm going to post them soon, although they are already on my Facebook page. Where were you standing? I can't believe we didn't know you were there! Oh well. Maybe we can see each other in Texas! The kids and I will fly out on the 12th and return on the 30th. Mark will come a week or so later and return with us. We will be at PC on Sun. the 14th. Hope to see you in Texas!!

Maybe we can actually get together after the holidays. We have been extended to the end of Feb., but Mark says it will probably be later than that.

Have a safe trip home!